Saturday, April 20, 2024

10:05 About a week ago google has started to put a limit on my searches. I usually do 40 at a time, in 40 tabs and it tolerated this for a long time if i did not repeat it more than every 2-3 minutes, but now it's really getting in my way especially when i discovered again some mistake in my posts and i try to fix those

I tried to checking the box, but then it starts to give me visual quizzes for every tab, which not feasible because they are so many. It usually get back to normal after, i don't know, 15 minutes.

5:44 Got the alternator and the pulley. The alternator label was smeared on a side. The pulley bolt is kinda irregular, rough.

I had some surprises removing the altnernator (parts in the way i had to remove). After i put the alternator on, i heard a sound around the pulley. New bearing hissing, is there anything like that? (It went away after). So i took it back apart but the bolt was coming out hard (not by hand). I remembered it went in also kinda hard (not by hand). And then i saw why. The bolt of the pulley was kinda rough.

All the discount parts you buy on ebay are kinda irregular, you have to look real good. I figure they buy them as scrap from Hyundai.

From my experience, most are just cosmetic, this one was more than that. I remember i wanted to put the old bolt but probably some disapproval sounds from upstairs made me give up (as i said t hey know everything i am doing and intervene all the time).

Anyways. After i took it apart i took pictures of both the alternator flange where the it goes and the bolt itself. They were no shavings on the bolt or stripped thread on the flange. Just a rough surface. I torqued it at 40, before and after the pictures, though i cannot find anywhere the actual spec. I wouldn't put less than 40 on a bolt like that where all the tension of the belt lies and pries on that cylindric spacer.

However now i think about buying a longer bolt and put a nut on the other side. This one doesn't even reach for the whole thickness of the flange by about 1/8 inch. I think grade 5 stand for 8.8 as it is marked.

However It did not cure the noise. The noise is at the tensioner pulley though this pulley had a considerable play and it leaked grease from the bearing. Should have not had replaced the alternator (nothing wrong with it). The noise i was hearing with the stethoscope was the from the fan, the new one has an identical one.

I completely removed the belt to check the play at the tensioner, which is big and then i panicked, could not install the belt no more because of a such a narrow space. Also had to draw a diagram on a piece of something, from a site.

I already ordered a tensioner. On ebay again.

I am dead tired but cannot sleep because there is at least an open green back in the north bin.